The lives and adventures of Jim, Gina, Jonathan, and Joseph

Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I promise I will post photos soon, I just have no gumption to find the camera and the cord right now!

I hope everyone has had a great Thanksgiving. Ours was lovely. We are at a Residence Inn in Eden Prairie, MN (twin cities metro) with Nancy, Rich, Bill, Heidi, Nikko, and Callia. While it's been lovely seeing everyone, we are particularly thrilled to finally meet Callia! She is a beautiful little girl, but not quite sure of all of us yet: ) Of course, Nikko is equally cautious around us. They do enjoying playing with Jon and Joey.

Joey and I almost didn't make it here. Tuesday evening, Joey was diagnosed with Mono and I didn't want to expose the little ones. Joe's been sleeping a lot and has been quick to lose his temper for about the last month. I brought him in to the doctor a couple weeks ago and the PA and I both thought he had a sinus infection. After finishing the meds, Joe didn't seem markedly better. Then my niece Katelyn was diagnosed with Mono; it took a couple days before it all clicked in my head (thanks to a conversation with Angela) and I just knew that was Joe's problem. The clinic did a blood test to confirm it. But since he's been acting "off" for so long, he has probably had it for awhile, and is no longer contagious. We are trying to keep him from being too close to the babies, not an easy task! The only cure for Mono is to let him sleep when he needs to, also not as easy as it sounds! Apparently, most kids under 10 who are exposed to Mono show no symptoms, leave it to Joe to be different. The major concern with Mono is an enlarged spleen which can burst. At the time of his exam, Joe's spleen was fine.

We had a great tradition Turkey day meal yesterday made mostly by Nancy, quite a feat in a hotel kitchen. I made the mashed potatoes (red with the skin on, yummy and easy), corn, and an apple crisp. Of course, we forgot some of the supplies so Jim and I made a "quick" trip for a few things. I assured him we would be back within an hour, I was so wrong! It took almost an hour to find the open Whole Food Market, man that place was packed! At one point, while we were on a *entry road* I looked out the window to see 2 full grown turkeys running full tilt through the ditch. I laughed so hard to see turkeys running on Thanksgiving. It almost made the grocery trip worth it, almost. But the meal and the companionship was beyond excellent!

1 comment:

Angela said...

A spleen can burst???