The lives and adventures of Jim, Gina, Jonathan, and Joseph

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Summer plans

We accomplished the first of our summer plans today. Jon had his tonsils out this morning. Correction, he had his tonsils AND adenoids out, Jon feels it's important to note that the adenoids were removed as well. He can be such a goof ball. The surgery went well, to quote the doctor, "his tonsils were large and gnarly." When Jon first woke up he told the nurse he didn't want to have his tonsils out, he changed his mind. It was a little late for that! He's slept most the day, but is up watching cartoons and eating ice cream. He should be discharged soon: ) On a side note, we don't have cable or dish at home anymore, and spending the day watching Cartoon Network has pretty much convinced me we made the right choice. Most of these cartoon are really lousy.

Jon was disappointed to learn that he will not be able to play baseball for 10 days so he will miss the first two games. Jim is coaching Jon's baseball team with our friend Chris so Jon's friends Dylan and Drew are on the same team. Joey has his first t-ball practice tonight, then he and Jim will drive up to Sioux Falls to pick up Nancy. She's returning for a couple weeks Europe, I hope she had a great time!

The guys have a pretty full summer. Besides baseball and t-ball, they will both take swimming lessons. Jon is doing a children's theater for a week and a week of an Out and About program, among other things they'll spend a day as an army guy. He's really pumped about that! Joey will be doing tumbling. Both will be involved in the VBS at our church and the many activities at the library.

As a family we plan on doing a bit of camping, hopefully out in the Hills. And we have the Ter Wee cousins reunion over the Fourth and Jim's family will be here in August. Jim will be Dad on duty and be running the boys here, there, and everywhere. Jim is also in charge of the garden this summer. He put in more plants than previous years but it will still be a small garden, mostly tomatoes and peppers. A friend gave me some strawberry plants too.

What about me you ask? I may well be the busiest member of the Z's. Sunday I will be leaving on the Confirmation Trip. I've been spending most Sunday evenings with the 15 or so 8th and 9th graders in our church. They are a great group and I'm very excited for the trip. We will be visiting a Muslim mosque, a Hindu temple, and an African-American Baptist church. We'll work in a shelter and possible a Habitat for Humanity house. And we will be spending the night in a monastery. Promises to be very interesting.

I will also be participating in the Dakota Writing Project during the month of June. Some of you may recognize the DWP, Nancy was the director for years. It is a great class/workshop during which teachers teach teachers writing. It meets Monday through Thursday for four weeks. I'm a bit nervous about it. For one thing Nancy is very well respected and I hope I don't embarrass the Zuercher name. Also, most of the participates will be staying at the dorms and will have alot of time to work on their assignments; where as I will be going home to T-ball and theater and, and... I tried to convince Jim I should stay in the dorms too, but it didn't work.

This has been a very long post. It's now after 10. Jon had one incident of nausea and has little interest in eating or drinking, but other than that he is doing well. We've read some and now he's watching Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone since he slept most the day . I'm sure tomorrow he'll feel much better. Thank goodness for pain medicine!

No comments: